Warning: This website is not optimized for Internet Explorer 6.
Download Internet Explorer 9, Firefox, or Chrome.
Find out why this website is not optimized for Internet Explorer 6.
1. Senior and corresponding author; 2. Primary/Co-primary authorship; BOLD denotes student authors under the supervision of Dr. Binks.
44. Chirico Scheele, S & Hartmann C, Siegrist M, Binks M, Egan P. (2021). Consumer Assessment of 3D Printed Food Shape, Taste, and Fidelity using Chocolate and Marzipan Materials. 3D Printing and Additive Manufacturing (in press).
43. Chin SH, Huang WL, Akter S, 1Binks M. Obesity and Pain: A Systematic Review. Int J Obes. Int J Obes (Lond). 2019 Dec 17. doi: 10.1038/s41366-019-0505-y. [Epub ahead of print].
42. Akter S, Dawson J, Kahathuduwa CN, Chin SH, 1Binks M. Psychological and Weight History Variables as Predictors of Short-term Weight and Body Fat Mass Loss. Ob Sci Pract. 2019;1–10. https://doi.org/10.1002/osp4.394.
41. Kaufman K, Chin S, Kahathuduwa CN, Wood M, Feliu M, Hill L, Barker C, Reif R, Keys A, Edwards CL, 1.Binks M. Body mass index, psychosocial correlates, pain and activities of daily living in adult sickle cell disease patients. PROGREVMED 2018; 3: e0019. (Invited Manuscript) (IF 1.0 Estimated – New Journal)
40. 1.Binks M, Chin S. A theoretical rationale for psychological mechanisms through which slimming garments may motivate physical activity in people with obesity. PROGREVMED 2018; 3: e-0017. (Invited Manuscript) (IF 1.0 Estimated – New Journal)
39. Kahathuduwa CN, Davis T, O'Boyle M, 1.Binks M. Do scores on the Food Craving Inventory and Three-Factor Eating Questionnaire correlate with expected brain regions of interest in people with obesity? Physiol Behav. 2018 Jan 27;188:1-10. doi: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2018.01.018. [Epub ahead of print] (IF 3.033)
38. Chin S, Kahathuduwa CN, Stearns BM, Davis T, 1.Binks M. Is hunger important to model in fMRI visual food-cue reactivity paradigms in adults with obesity and how should this be done? Appetite. 2018 Jan 1;120:388-397. doi: 10.1016/j.appet.2017.09.012. Epub 2017 Sep 28. (IF 2.691)
37. Kahathuduwa CN, Davis T, O’Boyle M, Boyd LA, Chin S, Paniukov D, 1.Binks M. Effects of 3-week total meal replacement vs. typical food-based diet on human brain functional magnetic resonance imaging food-cue reactivity and functional connectivity in people with obesity. Appetite. 2018 Jan 1;120:431-441. doi: 10.1016/j.appet.2017.09.025. Epub 2017 Sep 25. (IF 2.691, CI 2)
36. Kahathuduwa CN, Dhanasekara CS, Chin SH, Davis, T, Weerasinghe VS, Dassanayake TL, 1.Binks M. L-Theanine and caffeine improve target-specific attention to visual stimuli by decreasing mind wandering: a human functional magnetic resonance imaging study. Nutrition Research 2018 Jan;49: 67-78. doi: 10.1016/j.nutres.2017.11.002. Epub 2017 Nov 16. (IF 2.68)
35. Dhurandhar NV, 2.Binks M. When to eat! Am J Clin Nutr. 2017 Nov;106(5):1171-1172. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.117.167759. Epub 2017 Oct 11. (Invited Editorial) (IF 6.77)
34. Kahathuduwa CN, 2.Binks M, Martin CK, Dawson JA. Extended calorie restriction suppresses overall and specific food cravings: a systematic review and a meta-analysis. Obes Rev. 2017 Oct;18(10):1122-1135. doi: 10.1111/obr.12566. Epub 2017 May 30. (IF 7.995, CI 6)
33. Chin S-H, Kahathuduwa C, and 1.Binks M. Is sedentary behaviour unhealthy and if so does reducing it improve this? Int J Clin Pract. 2017 Feb;71(2). doi: 10.1111/ijcp.12925. (IF 2.566, CI 3)
32. 1.Binks M, Kahathuduwa CN, Davis T. Challenges in accurately modeling the complexity of human ingestive behavior: the influence of portion size and energy density of food on fMRI food-cue reactivity. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017 Feb;105(2):289-290. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.116.150813. Epub 2017 Jan 18 (Invited Editorial). (IF 6.77, CI 2)
31. 1.Binks M, Chin S. What are the challenges in developing effective health policies for obesity? Int J Obes (Lond). 2017 Jun;41(6):849-852. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2017.1. Epub 2017 Jan 12. (IF 5.337, CI 3)
30. Chin S, Kahathuduwa, CN, 1.Binks M. Physical Activity and Obesity: What We Know and What We Need to Know. Obes Rev. 2016 Dec;17(12):1226-1244. doi:10.1111/obr.12460. Epub 2016 Oct 14. (IF 7.995, CI 31)
29. Kahathuduwa CN, Boyd LA, Davis T, O'Boyle M, 1.Binks M. Brain regions involved in ingestive behavior and related psychological constructs in people undergoing calorie restriction. Appetite. 2016 Dec 1;107:348-361. doi: 10.1016/j.appet.2016.08.112. Epub 2016 Aug 24. (IF 2.691, CI 6)
28. Sagner M, 2.Binks M, Yapijakis C, Lavie CJ, Frank E, Franklin BA, Forman DE, Arena R, La Vecchia C, Puska P. Overcoming Potential Threats to Scientific Advancements: Conflict of Interest, Ulterior Motives, False Innuendos and Harassment. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2017 Mar - Apr;59(5):522-524. doi: 10.1016/j.pcad.2016.07.003. Epub 2016 Jul 19. (IF 2.418, CI 3)
27. Dhurandhar NV, Brown AW, Thomas D, Allison DB... Binks M.-Energy Balance Measurement Working Group. We Agree That Self-Reported Energy Intake Should Not Be Used as a Basis for Conclusions about Energy Intake in Scientific Research. J Nutr. 2016 May;146(5):1141-2. doi: 10.3945/jn.115.227017. (IF 4.145)
26. 1.Binks M. The Role of the Food Industry in Obesity Prevention. Curr Obes Rep. 2016 Jun;5(2):201-7. doi: 10.1007/s13679-016-0212-0. (IF 1.4, CI 4)
25. Dhurandhar NV, Schoeller D, Brown AW, Heymsfield SB, Thomas D, Sørensen TIA, Speakman JR, Jeansonne M, Allison DB … Binks M.-the Energy Balance Measurement Working Group. Energy balance measurement: when something is not better than nothing, Int J Obes (Lond) 2015; 39(7):1109-13. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2014.199. Epub 2014 Nov 13. (IF 5.337, CI 264)
24. 1.Binks M. Judge the science, not the funding source, Int J Obes advance online publication 18 March 2014; doi: 10.1038/ijo.2014.32. (IF 5.337)
23. Youssef NA, Abdelmalek MF, 2.Binks M, Guy CD, Omenetti A, Smith AD, Diehl AM E, Suzuki A. Associations of depression, anxiety and antidepressants with histological severity of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Liver Int. 2013: 33: 1062–1070, Article first published online: 7 APR 2013 DOI: 10.1111/liv.12165. (IF 4.5, CI 40)
22. 1.Binks M, van Mierlo T, Edwards CL. Relationships of the Psychological Influence of Food and Barriers to Lifestyle Change to Weight and Utilization of Online Weight Loss Tools The Open Medical Informatics Journal 2012; 6: 9-14. (IF 1.0-RGate, CI 3)
21. Suzuki A, 2.Binks M, Sha R, Wachholtz A, Eisenson HJ, Diehl AM. Serum Aminotransferase changes with significant weight loss: sex and age effects. Metabolism Clinical and Experimental 2010; 59(2), 177-185. (IF 5.777, CI 8)
20. 1.Binks M, van Mierlo T. Utilization Patterns and user characteristics of an ad libitum internet weight loss program J Med Internet Res 2010;12(1):e9 URL: http://www.jmir.org/2010/1/e9/HTML doi: 10.2196/jmir.1347 PMID: 20350926. (IF 4.671, CI 44)
19. Østbye T, Kolotkin RL, He H, Overcash F, Brouwer R, Binks M, Syrjala KL, Gadde KM. Sexual functioning in obese adults enrolling in a weight loss study J Sex Marital Ther. 2011 May;37(3):224-235. PMID: 21512941. (IF 1.935, CI 21)
18. Wachholtz, A.B., 1.Binks, M., Suzuki, A., Kolotkin, R., & Eisenson, H. Does pain predict interference with activities of daily living in an obese residential treatment seeking population? International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 2010 17 (2), 118-124.http://www.springerlink.com/content/r7708v6n52322750/ doi: 10.1007/s12529-010-9088-7. (IF 2.126)
17. Wachholtz A, 1.Binks M, Suzuki A, Eisenson H. Sleep disturbance and pain in an obese residential treatment seeking population. Clin J Pain, 25 (7), 584-589. (IF 2.703, CI 8)
16. Lundgren JD, Malcolm R, Binks M, O'Neil PM. Remission of metabolic syndrome following a 15-week low-calorie lifestyle change program for weight loss. Int J Obes (Lond). 2009 Jan;33(1):144-50. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2008.225. Epub 2008 Nov 18. (IF 5.337, CI 40)
15. Kolotkin RL, 2.Binks M, Crosby RD, Østbye T, Mitchell JE, Hartley G. Improvements in sexual quality of life after moderate weight loss. Int J Impot Res 2008; Jul 3. (IF 1.293, CI 44)
14. 1.Binks M, History of sexual abuse among bariatric surgery candidates (Editorial Comment) Surgery for Obesity and Related Disorders 2006;2: 375-376. (IF 4.496, CI 42)
13. Kolotkin RL, 2.Binks M, Crosby RD, Østbye T, Gress RE, Adams TD. Obesity and sexual quality of life. Obesity Research 2006;14(3): 472-479. (IF 4.72, CI 300)
12. Lundgren JD, O’Neil PM, Martin CK, Binks M. Smoking status and weight loss in three weight loss programs. Eating Behaviors 2006;7: 61-68. (IF 2.23, CI 8)
11. 1.Binks M, Adolfsson B. Duke study reports sex, self-esteem diminish for morbidly obese. CDS review 2005;98(4):28-9. (IF N/A, CI 3)
10. Kolotkin RL, Westman EC, Østbye T, Crosby RD, Eisenson HJ, 1.Binks M, Does binge eating disorder impact weight-related quality of life? Obesity research 2004;12(6): 999-1005. (IF 4.72, CI 89)
9. 2.Binks M, O’Neil PM, Referral sources to a weight management program: Relationship to outcome. J Gen Intern Med 2002;17. (IF 3.701, CI 16)
8. Martin CK, O’Neil PM, Binks M. An attempt to identify predictors of treatment outcome in two comprehensive weight loss programs. Eating Behaviors 2002;3(3): 239-248. (IF 2.23, CI 27)
7. 1.Binks M, Radnitz CL, Moran A, Vinciguerra V. Relationship between level of spinal cord injury and post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms. Annals of The New York Academy of Sciences 1997;821: 430-432. (IF 4.039, CI 13)
6. Radnitz CL, McGrath R, Tirch D, Willard M J, Perez-Strumolo L, Festa J, Binks M, Broderick CP, Schlein I, Walczak S, Lillian LB. Use of the Beck Depression Inventory for individuals with spinal cord injury. Rehabilitation Psychology 1997;42(2): 93-101. (IF 1.615, CI 34)
5. Callaghan E, Radnitz CL, Tirch D, Perez-Strumolo L, Schlein IS, Willard J, Lillian LB, Festa J, Walczak S, Binks M, Broderick CP. Is benzodiazepine use related to substance misuse history? SCI Psychosoical Process 1996;9(4): 103-106. (IF N/A, CI 2)
4. Radnitz CL, Broderick CP, Perez-Strumolo L, Tirch D, Festa J, Schlein I, Walczak S, Willard J, Lillian LB, Binks M. The prevalence of psychiatric disorders in veterans with spinal cord injury: A controlled comparison. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 1996;184(7): 431-433. (IF 1.682, CI 21)
3. Radnitz CL, Schlein I, Walczak S, Broderick CP, Binks M, Tirch D, Willard J, Perez-Strumolo L, Festa J, Lillian LB, Bockian N, Cytryn A, Green L. The prevalence of posttraumatic stress disorder in spinal cord injury. SCI Psychosocial Processes 1995;8(4): 145-149. (IF N/A)
2. Radnitz CL, Hsu L, Willard J, Perez-Strumolo L, Festa J, Lillian L.B, Walczak S, Tirch D, Schlein IS, Binks M, Broderick CP. Posttraumatic stress disorder in veterans with spinal cord injury: Trauma-related risk factors. Journal of Traumatic Stress 1995. (IF 2.721, CI 56)
1. Radnitz CL, Hsu L, Tirch D, Willard J, Lillian LB, Walczak S, Festa J, Perez-Strumolo L, Broderick CP, Binks M, Schlein IS, Bockian N, Green L, Cytryn A. A comparison of posttraumatic stress disorder in veterans with and without spinal cord injury. Journal of Abnormal Psychology 1995. (IF 4.133, CI 49)
1. Eisenson HJ, Binks M*. The Duke Diet: The world-renowned program for healthy and lasting weight loss. New York: Balantine: 2007.
*Primary and senior organizing author and project director for The Duke Diet book and companion website DukeDiet.com.
Dr. Binks Change Secrets Part 1
You know very well that weight loss or health is not really about finding the right diet or exercise plan. It’s about figuring out why you struggle so much with following through on the plans you make. This is your answer. The Health Commitment Matrix© provides a framework that allows you to analyze your whole life and prepare to make meaningful changes that improve your ability to achieve your goals ...read more